Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Rise from this semi-recumbent posture; it is most indecorous!"

Possibly my favorite play of all time is Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. 





My mother's friend, Amy Billings, recommended the movie starring Colin Firth and Rupert Everett several years ago. We both walked away from it a little confused and frankly, unimpressed. A while later, for whatever reason, we both saw it a second time and it has been in our top 5 ever since. This play is hilarious, romantic, and cleverly written. The movie is great (I highly recommend it), but the full play is better.

So last week, when my old roommate and good friend mentioned that her neighbor was directing this play for his theatre company, Utah Shakespeare in the Park, I decided it would be worth checking out. They did several free performances: two at the Orem Public Library and one on the BYU campus. It was very well done. Liz and I were able to get our neighbors, Janelle and Stephanie, to join us. We had a nice evening without having to spend a dime.

For more about Utah Shakespeare in the Park, performance dates, and audition information checkout their website, here.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't remember that Amy suggested that or that we didn't care about it. I'm so glad you're around so that I have a clear memory or two.

    ReplyDelete